Lily

Photo:

Photo: courtesy of Pixabay.com - Pezibear

Friday, August 21, 2015

Pure Waiting... A Pure, White Rose

The picture I have had as my background for this blog (now the cool little favicon) is very special to me and, as you may have guessed, holds a very big meaning. I took this picture at The Rosedown Plantation in Louisiana a couple of years ago, and it is now my “life picture.” The story behind it has encouraged me countless times and gotten me through many different temptations—whether it be depression, anxiety, untrue thinking, or down-right impatience.

And I’d like to share a story with you that I’m retelling in my own way from a book that has had a huge impact on my life. Several years ago, my momma read this book and gave it to me to read, Before You Meet Prince Charming, by Sarah Mally. So, turn on your imagination and let the spectacle astound you. I hope you’re as blessed by it as I have been! ☺

There is a garden which God has created inside of me. I have many different flowers, bushes and trees, all with different colors, shapes and sizes.

Along the pathway I see my rose. A small white bud, closed up and secure.
This is my purity.
My Father and I walk through my heart’s garden every day, weeding, pruning, cleaning, watering and protecting.
One day I ask my Father questions that have been pressing on my mind as we’re walking.
I ask Him why He gave me gifts such as purity, holiness, truth, courage, faithfulness, prayer and grace.
I ask Him why I have such a yearning for marriage.
I ask Him why so many in the world throw their purity away.
I ask Him why it’s best to keep my first kiss for my wedding.

He slowly brings me over to my closed up rose bud and tells me to peel open the petals. Shocked, I jump back and ask, “Why? That would kill the rose.”
He replies, “But I want to see what’s inside. Will you show Me?”
I shake my head, confused. “You’ll have to wait for it to open on its own. Peeling back the petals would destroy the rose—and the precious gift of its beauty. You have to wait to see its true beauty at its full potential: when it blooms.”
He cocks His head. “Well, what if we only open it a little? Just pull back a few of the petals. Please, show me?”
I furrow my brow, utterly lost. Why would He want to risk harming the flower? “The rose is delicate. If we peel back the petals, they will tear or fall off. The rose will die, and then we’ll never get to see it bloom into its full, glorious splendor.”
He then simply smiles and says, “And now you know why you must wait.”
“My gift of purity is special—unlike any other gift I have given you. From the beginning I created marriage. But even before marriage, there was My love.
“Wait, My child. I know the plans I have for you. For now, I want to be your Sweetheart Savior. Let Me love you; and experience My love, which is grander and more beautiful than any other love in the world. Then you will be able to appreciate a spouse’s love to its fullest and most blessed potential more so than you ever could before… For now, bask in My love.
“Wait for Me, child. You will be glad—and proud—that you did.”

(Remember this story is only my retelling – it was inspired by a fairy-tale in Sarah Mally’s Before You Meet Prince Charming, page 31. If you’re looking for a good book on purity/waiting for your future spouse, I strongly, strongly suggest this book! (Visit Sarah Mally’s website!)
Many times I’ve abused my gifts. Sometimes I flat out destroy them. But luckily, we serve a God of second chances. There’s always another spring; another flower may bloom. The important thing is to learn from our experiences. God doesn’t want us to make the same mistake again… and most of the time, neither do we!
One last thought before we go:
Jim Elliot said,
“Let not our longing slay the appetite of our living.”
As a single young woman, I know how true this needs to be. When I let my desires take over, the result is catastrophic. I get grumpy, discontent, and most of the time, lazy.
One of my all time favorite quotes is from Elizabeth Elliot’s Let Me Be A Woman:
“Single life may be only a stage of a life’s journey, but even a stage is a gift. God may replace it with another gift, but the receiver accepts His gifts with thanksgiving. This gift for this day. The life of faith is lived one day at a time. And it has to be lived—not always looked forward to as if the ‘real’ living were around the next corner. It is today for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow.”

“Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory.”
–Psalm 73:23 (NASB)

Blessings!

-Kayla R. Woodhouse ☺

1 comment: